16.10.09

While I am complaining: a word about partnering


Nice color palette. I recently gave a prospect a presentation that I thought went well. They make well-respected and high-quality products so I was nervous and might have gone too quickly. I usually do. Shockingly the person that invited me to visit got up and left half way through the presentation. Apparently he had run out of time to meet. Ironically, he was interested enough to mention partnering on a line of new products. Partnering? Usually when I hear that word now I cringe because I have learned that it does not mean the same thing to me as it does to others. In the world of product development it seems to mean that when they need you you will have someone who is going to ask for infinite flexibility and all kinds of extra attention. Then in return, when things are done and it is time to share the reward they will suddenly treat you like you just came in off the street. Once development is done most seem to quickly forget all the work that got them there and the value of the partnership. I am sure that it is something that I am doing incorrectly in the initial phases of the partnership but getting myself to stop making the same mistake is proving difficult.

No comments: