16.10.09

IDSA


I was recently asked why I have not more fully embraced our most widely accepted industry organization, the Industrial Design Society of America or IDSA. I was a member from 1990-2009 and Evo has had several chapter officers over the years. Recently however the organization has become even intolerably incestuous. Their big event, the IDEA awards is basically the same 10 companies giving awards to each other (besides Apple who to my knowledge has never joined). Also, they seem to have no problem giving the same products awards every year and even less difficulty giving awards to their major donors, like Crown. Seems like that would be a conflict to me. But most of all, the over priced conferences have very little to do with real design issues and a lot more to do with promoting egos.

2 comments:

.kv said...

Sing it brother!

Aaron said...

KV, thanks for the support. I realize that it may come off as a little bitter but I do not think it is just award envy. I think that the organization has become pretty useless aside from the fact that they promote design...which is something I suppose. We do not even enter anymore.