12.1.08

what a guy


This is an excerpt from a recent interview with retiring general manager of the Buffalo Bills. Impressive.
That’s the short, simple answer on why he is leaving his GM post. “Really about midseason of this year, I decided it wasn’t fulfilling enough for me,” Levy said in an interview Wednesday. “My heart was out on the field. I decided there’s so many other things I’d like to do.” The 82-year-old Levy agreed to be interviewed Wednesday in order to clear up some possible misconceptions about his decision to leave the Bills. It’s not about his health, he said. “There were some speculations that I wanted to address after a day or two,” Levy said. “One was that I had a serious illness. Absolutely, unqualifiedly no. That wasn’t it at all.” Levy said the hours were not too long for him. “It really wasn’t the demands of the job,” Levy said. “That wasn’t it at all. In fact, it was a piece of cake compared to coaching, and it’s almost what I didn’t like about it.” “So I’m not stepping aside to slow down, I’m stepping aside to speed up,” Levy said. Levy will hang around for the next couple of weeks while the Bills evaluate their football department. Levy does not think there will be a rush to fill his position in the front office. How does he plan to speed up after that? “There are radio and television possibilities,” Levy said. “I’ve already had very, very preliminary contact on that. I like to write. Just for the fun of it, I want to write. Even if it’s fiction, I want to write. I really want to immerse myself in that. And I want to do some traveling. “I have an agenda, possibly mostly television and writing,” Levy said. “If there’s other things, great. Travel, exercise, learn a new language, and all that stuff.”

No comments: